Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Self Evaluation Evaluation

I had a bit of a hard time writing my self evaluation. The biggest problem was that I hadn't planned on what kind of metrics I wanted to present. This is definitely something I will need to change for next time. When I actually sat down to look at the metrics I could present, I realized that they were kind of meaningless. As we discussed in class, number of commits, or number of lines of code are not very good measures. In order to have better metrics for the next evaluation, I will keep track of the number of work sessions I attend. Also, I will be thinking about other ways that I might be able to measure my coding progress.

After I had written and submitted my own evaluation, I looked at a draft of Ezra's evaluation. At that point he had close to five pages, and besides being overly long, I thought it looked really good. That was when I realized that the self evaluation exercise is all about spin. Ezra has been vital in our project, and he probably had more to work with in his evaluation than I did, but I don't think that that accounts fully for the differences in our evaluations. I see that I have a way of minimizing my own achievements when I stop to look at them. I also see that given the right spin, Ezra's already good performance on the project looks absolutely phenomenal. So in the end, it's not just what you did, but your ability to present what you did to others that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment